Monday, December 22, 2008

Life, liberty & the pursuit of Rick Warren

I'm rushing to meet a deadline so that I can actually get some time off this Christmas week. (Ah, the glamorous life of a writer!) Meanwhile, I've been mulling the Rick Warren thing and want to write more on this, but, alas, there's no time and nor room left in my brain to do so. On the other hand, there are some interesting new angles on the Warren uproar.

Melissa Etheridge's wife, Tammy Lynn Michaels, weighs in on the topic. It seems that Etheridge and Warren ended up on the same stage on Saturday, and had a talk backstage.

Andrew Sullivan, who I alternately want to celebrate and strangle, has some interesting perspectives on the idea of seeking freedom vs. power and the wounded gay community and what it means to really have a different kind of politics.

Joe Klein does the best job of explaining why Warren should be invited to the inauguration.

Personally, I still feel like I was kicked in the gut by the choice of Warren, but I'm willing to listen more. On the other hand, I still have questions. Some folks claim that Warren is a "kinder, gentler" fundamentalist and that he actually does support some legal rights for queers. Inquiring minds want to know more.

For example, we know that Warren's church does not allow "unrepentant" gays to become members. I understand his theological argument -- wrong headed and decidedly unchristian as it is. However, banning gays doesn't give me hope that Warren is even remotely concerned about fairness for LGBT Americans.

I haven't done the research I need to do on this yet, and I'd love to know more.

Where does Warren stand on other issues of basic legal fairness for LGBT people? Does he support any kind of civil right for the people whose relationships he equates with pedophilia and incest?

No comments: