Monday, June 16, 2008

Love Made Visible: Marriage equality comes to California

By Diane Silver

I watched the video of Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon celebrating after their marriage and cried.

I've fought letting myself feel this. Sitting 1,800 miles away in a state that refuses to acknowledge that my love matters, I had been focusing on my anger. In the run-up to today, I thought that this moment, these weddings, were just going to be another bit of cruelty. All would be yanked away by voters in November, just like equality has always been yanked away from us. That meant none of this mattered, or so I thought.

And yet, after more than 50 years of loving and living together, Martin, 87, and Lyon, 84, were finally, legally married. That has to count for something.

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom said this marriage was "love made visible." And so it is.

Note: Look for the video "Longtime Lesbian Couple Honored at SF Ceremony."

No comments: