Thursday, June 14, 2007

Thank you, Massachusetts

By Diane Silver

I'm still thinking about the victory for marriage equality today in Massachusetts.

I am stunned by how important this is to me. I'm sitting here in Kansas, nearly 1,500 miles from Boston, yet I want to cry.

From a practical point of view, today's win means that the gay rights movement doesn't have to spend the next year pouring resources and energy into keeping same-sex marriage alive in Massachusetts. That will free up people and money to work for fairness in the rest of the country.

But the victory in Massachusetts means far more than that. If there is equality in one place in this nation, there is hope for equality everywhere.

Even here in Kansas. Even here.

Check out this powerful post at AMERICAblog for a first-person account of today's events.

No comments: