Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Kansas: Newspaper says domestic partner registry has "more than a fighting chance"

By Diane Silver

The Lawrence Journal-World previews tonight's City Commission meeting on the proposed domestic partner registry.
From early indications, the effort has more than a fighting chance.

“From what I can tell, there is some support on the commission for passing it,” said City Commissioner Mike Dever, who said he was leaning toward voting for the registry. “We’ve gotten a lot of information on it, a lot of feedback on it.”

New commissioners Dever and Rob Chestnut also told the newspaper they have heard from more supporters than opponents of the proposal.

My thoughts? I honestly don't know what will happen. I've seen too many efforts to pass fair laws fail to be 100 percent optimistic. On the other hand, I think we've got a real chance. If the registry does fail, I know that life will get very interesting in this town.

I'll be there tonight. Will you?

No comments: