Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Kansas: Lawrence domestic partner registry picks up another vote

By Diane Silver

New Lawrence Mayor Sue Hack said today that she will vote "yes" on a domestic partner registry for the city. Her comments came in an online chat. (I added the bold.) Hack says:
In that the Attorney General has indicated that the City of Lawrence is within its home rule authority to proceed with domestic partner registration as long as it is only for residents of Lawrence, I think it will be important to have this on a Commission agenda in the near future. Our legal staff is reviewing the opinion, but I would not think they would find reason to disagree. As for my personal feelings, I would be in favor of providing this registry opportunity in Lawrence. I don't know how my fellow commissioners feel, but we will definately put it on an agenda.
Hat tip to Mike for spotting this first.

No comments: