Friday, October 08, 2010

Fred Phelps and Hell on Earth

I know this is a blog about goodness, but I believe we have to look at evil to understand good, particularly when that evil is couched in terms of righteousness. The Rev. Fred Phelps commits evil every day, and he does it in the name of good and God. This post looks into the heart of that evil, and links to a description of the details of life in the Hell on Earth that Phelps has created for his family. This is one of the reasons why I feel compassion for his children and grandchildren. For years now, I’ve thought that the only thing worse than being picketed by Fred Phelps and his family would be to be one of them.

His son Nate Phelps describes life in the Phelps home:

This violence was a fact of life in our home, and is interwoven from my earliest memories as a child.

Continue reading

No comments: