Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Too gloomy on marriage?

I just completed a Political IQ column for Q Syndicate on how Iowa and Vermont aren't turning the political tide on marriage, at least not yet. I still stand by my conclusions, but now I'm beginning to wonder if my not-yet-published op-ed is a little too gloomy. Signs of hope come from today's New York Times and the Des Moines Register of the ho-hum, isn't-this-boring nature of the first day of same-sex marriages in Iowa.

Top this off with a nice helping of Adam Nagourney following up the week-old story about GOP misgivings on using gay marriage as a wedge issue, and you've got more than a little reason to be optimistic.

Was I too gloomy, or does a lack of screaming merely mean that people are regrouping before attacking again?

I'll be interested to hear what people think of the column.

No comments: