Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Kansas: Nancy Boyda says there's no solution to Iraq, but opposes a quick pullout

By Diane Silver

The newly elected Democrat from Topeka, Kan., just came back from her first trip to Iraq without any answers.

AP reports:
Boyda, a freshman Democrat who called the Iraq war a mistake when she ran for office, said she continues to favor withdrawing troops but declined to give a specific timetable.

“I would not recommend any kind of a rapid pullout,” Boyda told reporters during a conference call. “There are no good solutions to this.”

Some of the folks in Boyda's district are a tad grumpy that she isn't calling for quicker troop withdrawals. Once she campaigned with the slogan "Had Enough?" Now, Boyda is seen as dragging her feet.

Is this a new found sense of responsibility, or is Boyda going back on her word to create change in DC? I don't think anyone has an answer to that, but we'll keep watching.

Cross posted to Watching Those We Chose.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm worried. She was for the surge before she was against it. She's refusing the help of the DNC even though she's considered vulnerable. And Run-From-Jim-Ryan is going to announce that he's running for her seat. And you'd think having just returned from the quagmire, she'd realize that Iraq is lost. I can't decide whether she's that egotistical, really naive, or not too bright.

Diane Silver said...

Thanks so much for your comment. I share your concern, but I think it's too early to judge Boyda. I want to see what she does over the next few months. The problem with Boyda may well be that she was always a tad too conservative, but that in comparison to Ryan, of course, that made her a flaming liberal.

I don't know, yet, if refussing the national party's help is a hurt or hinderance. someone over at Daily Kos had a good analysis of this. I meant to link to it, but got buried under work. I'll see if I can find that.

Do you live in Boyda's district?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I live on the western edge of Lawrence--the section that was gerrymandered in an effort to help Phill Kline unseat Dennis Moore. That all turned out well for Kline now didn't it?

I understand the anti-establishment mentality and wanting distance from the DNC. I guess it's difficult to reconcile Boyda as a grassroots kind of girl. She's trying to talk the talk, but it's hard to believe she's built a network of grassroots supporters. We were all running from Ryan. Fleeing is not the same as supporting.