Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Childish Joe

By Diane Silver

I've had a few other things on my mind, so I haven't blogged on the Ned Lamont - Joe Lieberman saga before. I can't say I'm an expert on the race. I can't say I'm an expert on Connecticut politics, but I am a mother. I can spot a temper tantrum when I see one.

Toddlers are notorious for them. Refuse to give them the candy they want or force them to share a favorite toy and watch out! Voices shriek and arms and legs flail, breaking anything in their way.

Lieberman's refusal to admit defeat in yesterday's primary for the Democratic U.S. Senate nomination in Connecticut and his determination to run as an independent is just that: a tantrum.

He didn't get his way and now he is determined to scream and strike out in the hope that someone will get tired enough of his antics to give him his toy back. In the process, he could break the Democratic Party, or hurt its chances to win in November.

Temper tantrums make sense for 2-year-olds. They can be part of a developmental stage. Lieberman needs to grow up, cut his losses and move on. That's what an adult would do.

No comments: