Friday, December 09, 2005

For Something Completely Different: Sun on snow

I was born and raised in Michigan, and I guess it’s the northerner in me, but I love the look of bright sunshine on snow. It’s bitter cold today, so cold this morning that it felt like the hairs in my nose froze the moment I stepped out of my house.

But I love this: Crisp, blue sky; brilliant sun illuminating a world coated white; even the bare tree branches looking like black sticks with toppings of fluffy, white icing. I feel more awake and alive than I have in months.

Maybe it’s the snow, maybe it’s the sun, and maybe it’s the fact that I suddenly have a free weekend coming up. Saturday I’ll embark on my first serious shopping trip of the Christmas season. (Yup, I am totally behind in my holiday preparations.) The goal of my quest is to find the perfect gifts for my son, my mother and my brother and sister in law.

To my handful of readers… May you all feel as alive as I do in this moment, and may you be preparing to share the holidays with people you love.

***
I’m taking the weekend off. Look for updates on Monday. I also hope to do some remodeling of this site soon, adding links to favorite blogs and favorite posts. And someday there might even be photos and ads and all of those new-fangled colorful kinds of things posted here!

Take care all.

No comments: