Monday, October 11, 2010

The goodness of integrity

Today is National Coming Out Day, so it seems appropriate to note that there is nothing more important to the search for goodness than integrity. The dictionary on my iMac defines “integrity” as “the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.” The only way I can be morally upright is to be honest about myself: I am a lesbian, and I am proud of it.

When a culture punishes millions of its own people for doing nothing more awful than daring to love, that culture is suffering from an illness far greater than cancer. And the cure isn’t chemo; it’s honesty. So today I join my sisters and brothers around the nation to once again come out and shout my joy at having the capacity to love.

Continue reading

No comments: