Thursday, August 05, 2010

The Soul-Crushing boredom, banality, etc. of goodndess

Goodness is hideously boring, banal, unsophisticated and ignorant of the realities of life, among many other things, or at least that’s what I’ve been told as I’ve journeyed on this quest. Not everyone has this attitude, but some do. As I’ve talked to more people about the topic, I’ve begun to hear what some see as the downside of goodness.

First, there’s this problem of one’s mother. Actually, it’s the problem of just about everyone’s mother, who would say: “Be a good girl.” OR “When I take you to the (fill in the blank), be good!” Of course, we all knew what that meant. We were to sit/stand still, be quiet, not fidget, don’t touch, say “please” and “thank you” and do absolutely everything the adults wanted us to do. No running, no jumping, no having fun. If that isn’t soul crushing, I don’t know what is. Read More.

No comments: