Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Six!!!!

The governor of New Hampshire has just signed the bill enacting marriage equality in that state. Six states have now legalized same-sex marriage. Wow!

When I came out 30 years ago, I never once thought such a wonderful thing could happen. Actually, when I came out, I never once thought about marriage because it seemed such an impossibility.

In those days, the idea that a lesbian couple could get married was akin to the idea that I could flap my arms and fly. My greatest dream at the time was that I would be able to live my life openly and honestly without losing my family, being fired or being beaten to death.

This wonderful rush of equality makes repeal of the new-speak named Defense of Marriage Act more important than ever. It is appalling that same-sex couples remain second-class citizens even in the states where we can legally marry.

No comments: