Thursday, September 04, 2008

The Republican National Convention descends into the politics of ridicule

I know I shouldn't be this naive, but I'm stunned by what I saw last night at the RNC. In particular, Rudy Giuliani and Sarah Palin ridiculed their political opponents with quips and sarcasm suitable for junior high cafeterias. And then the Republican delegates responded with the kind of laughter, hand gestures and yelling that one would expect from 14-year-olds. (Note: I'm a mother with a son in his early 20s, so I remember that stage VERY well.)

The Republicans seemed to think it was particularly hilarious that someone would be a community organizer. Think about the arrogance of that. Here is the party that oversaw the destruction of the economy for the last eight years and made Jack Abramoff a star -- the party that claims that it's for the common man and against the elites -- roaring with laughter at the idea of organizing to battle elites.

I wasn't laughing. I bet I wasn't alone.

No comments: