- John McCain "suspends" his campaign and declares that he won't debate until the financial crisis is solved.
- Republicans and Democrats in Congress announce that they have a deal to pass a modified bailout plan.
- "Suspended" McCain campaign continues running ads and attacking Barack Obama via surrogates, while the news media report that McCain is putting "country first."
- McCain flies to Washington, DC, and arrives with much fanfare.
- Announced bailout plan crashes and burns.
- McCain declares victory and announces that he will (tah dah!) debate Obama as planned.
- Congressional leaders and Bush Administration go back to what they were doing before McCain intervened. A grateful nation holds its breath and prays for a real solution.
Friday, September 26, 2008
The debate is back on
The New York Times and others are reporting the news. Shall we recap the events?