Saturday, January 19, 2008

Obama anti-gay gaffe looms larger

[2/26/08 Update --> Despite the misgivings discussed in this post, I decided to support Barack Obama and enthusiastically caucused for him in the Feb. 5 Kansas Caucuses. For details on my change of mind and for details on the pro-Obama stance of my co-blogger, Nancy Jane Moore, please see links at the bottom of this post.

I am posting this update because a web site called The Hillary Clinton Forum continues to link to my one anti-Obama post while failing to link to my multiple pro-Obama posts.

Diane Silver]

**************************
I wrote in my Camp-KC column this month that I didn't think Barack Obama's use of anti-gay singer Donnie McClurkin was a serious misstep. Now, I'm beginning to wonder.

Every time I think about settling on Obama as my candidate for the Feb. 5 Kansas caucuses, McClurkin keeps coming to mind. McClurkin wasn't even the only anti-gay singer on the bill of the pro-Obama concert tour, according to Pam at the House Blend. The fact that Obama did not remove any of the anti-gay singers when he learned about their stances is more than unsettling. It is downright scary for those of us living with targets on our backs.

I still don't know what to make of this. We're getting to crunch time, though, to make a decision. It's 17 days and counting until the suddenly meaningful Kansas Caucuses.

Perhaps the best thing to come out of this is that it has apparently lit a fire under LGBT Democratic voters in South Carolina.

[More on 2/26/08 Update]
Here are the links to In This Moment's most recent posts about Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton

By Diane Silver
And The Winner is: Barack Obama

The thrill of caucusing

By Nancy Jane Moore
Why I can't support Hillary Clinton in the Texas primary

No comments: