Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The District of Columbia needs a voice in Congress

By Nancy Jane Moore

I virtually never agree with Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT), only occasionally agree with Rep. Tom Davis (R-VA), and am still quite put out with Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT). I do, however, agree most of the time with the District of Columbia's non-voting delegate to Congress, Eleanor Holmes Norton (pictured). If Ms. Norton was able to vote in the House of Representatives, I'd feel as if I had at least some voice in what is supposed to be my government.

For that reason, I commend to your attention an op-ed in today's Washington Post by Ms. Norton and the other three members of Congress listed above urging the Senate to avoid a filibuster and approve legislation giving the District a vote in Congress and adding an additional House seat from Utah. It may be a compromise bill -- there is some debate over whether Utah should really get this extra seat -- but it's a lot better than having no vote in Congress at all.

Read the article and then write your senators -- those of you who have senators -- and ask them to support the bill.

No comments: