Friday, March 16, 2007

Friday Video: What was really the matter with Kansas & its attack on evolution

By Diane Silver

I'm hoping to someday jump into the world of vlogging, as in video blogging, but I'm not quite ready to do that yet. On the other hand, I was playing around on YouTube today and came across this enlightening video. Thus, we start a new feature: The Friday Video.

In it Ken Miller of Brown University visits the University of Kansas and talks about what was really the matter with Kansas’ anti-evolution school board. That now-ousted board attempted to change the definition of science to include the supernatural.

The consequences of such a change could have been drastic. Despite the fact that board is now gone, another pro-intelligent design, anti-science board could easily be elected in 2008. Thus, I think, Miller's arguments are still important to understand.

I consider myself a person of faith, but I have no wish for my faith to undermine science. Actually, I don't see a conflict between the two. Here's a good example of what I mean: If people are seriously ill, I pray for them. I pray for physical, spiritual and emotional healing, but I still take them to the doctor. Faith and science aren't enemies. They just have different jobs.

No comments: