Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Thoughts on Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius & her latest love note from the media

By Diane Silver

First it was Time magazine, and now it's Newsweek. All in all, the national news media can't seem to get enough of our fair governor, Kathleen Sebelius.

In calling her a rising star, Newsweek says:
During her first term in office, Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius so impressed the former head of the state's Republican Party that he became a Democrat in order to serve as her running mate in 2006. A pro-business, pro-military, pro-choice, fiscal conservative, Sebelius easily won re-election this fall, and has emerged as the dean of a new breed of Democrats taking over what was once reliably red terrain.
Newsweek reports that Sebelius' recent election to head the Democratic Governors Association is "fueling chatter that she would make a good vice presidential running mate in 2008."

Could be. Whatever happens, it does seem clear that unless Sebelius makes a misstep, she is destined for something far beyond Topeka, Kan.

I can't say that I'm a friend of the governor's, but I did know her when she served in the Kansas House, and I covered the Legislature for The Wichita Eagle. I know people who work directly with the governor now.

I can tell you that Sebelius is smart, hardworking and fair. She appoints smart, hardworking and fair people to work for the state.

Even before she was governor, Sebelius had an impact, most importantly as insurance commissioner. She stood up to a private company that was trying to buy Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Kansas. The results of such a sale would have been disastrous for Kansans. Sebelius rejected the company's application and made the rejection stick in court.

Unlike some in the national news media, though, I don't think Sebelius walks on water. At times she is far too timid for my taste, and I've seen her make a stumble or two.

Sebelius is making a positive difference in Kansas, though, and she could have a real impact on the national stage.

Whatever happens now, it will be fascinating to watch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When we first moved to KC, I was burned out on health care and needed a break, so I joined a tiny club that has closed the admission rolls. I worked at the original Grand Emporium, the legendary Blues bar. The Governor is famous among music fans as a blues and jazz lover, and she and her husband used to come to the GE. It was my job to take care of VIP's - this usually meant the artists, but sometimes it meant a guest. I never attended to her without ending up just pulling up a chair and joining them. Of course, I had a frame of reference, haveing been a sworn and mortal enemy of Mark Gietzen for many years. Father O'Connor at St. Margaret-Mary beamed at me when Mark announced he was running for a state senate seat, and I stood up and said "I'll see you in hell before I see you in the senate."

We all know who won that little battle now, don't we?

Diane Silver said...

The one thing I forgot to mention is that Sebelius is also a big fan of The Kelley Hunt Band. Anyone who love's Kelley's music has to be terrific!

For a link to the band see the right column under "For Something Completely Different"