Friday, June 30, 2006

Off to Aikido Camp

By Nancy Jane Moore

I spending the next week (from today through Friday July 7) at the Aikido Summer Camp run by Aikido Shobukan Dojo and featuring master Aikido teachers Mitsugi Saotome Shihan and Hiroshi Ikeda Shihan.

I was planning to write a piece explaining the principles of Aikido and how they have influenced my thoughts on political and security matters, but it's not something I can toss off in half an hour and I got sidetracked this week into commenting on the Supreme Court rulings.

Suffice it to say that if our leadership studied Aikido, I suspect our foreign policy would be much more effective and we'd be safer. If you'd like to look into this a little further, I suggest three books by Saotome Shihan: Aikido and the Harmony of Nature, The Principles of Aikido, and Aikido: Living by Design. All are available from Aiki.com, along with other interesting Aikido books.

I hope to return with some new ways of looking at the world. See you then.

No comments: